Our January 6, 2021 law alert, An Overview of New Laws Impacting Employers in 2021, indicated that the Connecticut Paid Family Medical Leave Act (PFMLA) is effective July 1, 2021. The Connecticut PFMLA website, however, indicates PFMLA deadlines and notable dates as follows:
- As of January 1, 2021, employers should have begun withholding employee contributions (0.5% of each paycheck) to the Connecticut Paid Leave Authority Trust Fund.
- March 31, 2021 – first quarterly payment due date.
- June 30, 2021 – second quarterly payment due date.
- September 30, 2021 – third quarterly payment due date.
- Late 2021 – employees may apply for benefits.
- December 31, 2021 – fourth quarterly payment due date.
- January 1, 2022 – benefit payments begin for approved paid leave benefit applications.
- July 1, 2022 – employers must provide employees with written notice containing descriptions of the following: (1) the job-protected leave provided under the CT PFML; (2) the opportunity to apply for CT PFML benefits through the CT Paid Leave Authority; (3) employee protection from retaliation for requesting and/or taking CT PFML; and, (4) employee’s right to file complaints with the Labor Commissioner.
For more information and resources please visit the Connecticut Paid Leave website: https://ctpaidleave.org/s/employer-landing-page