Our ERISA attorneys work with employers and other sponsors of employee benefit plans on issues arising under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) including Fiduciary Compliance, Retirement Plans, ESOPs, Welfare Benefits, PBGC, as well as all aspects of ERISA litigation, including Expert Witness services. We have one of the largest ERISA practice groups in the nation, with clients across the United States and around the world.
The clients of our ERISA practice range from publicly traded, multinational corporations to closely held corporations of all sizes; plan administrators, trustees and investment managers; major U.S. financial institutions, broker-dealers and registered investment advisers; governmental entities; professional and trade associations; tax-exempt organizations (especially hospitals and physician organizations and their affiliates); and individual benefit plan participants.
We focus on ERISA law issues involving:
- Defined benefit pension plans
- Profit sharing and 401(k) plans
- Employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs)
- Prototype and other pre-approved plans
- Voluntary employees’ beneficiary associations (VEBAs)
- Group medical and health plans (including ACA, HIPAA and COBRA)
- Qualified domestic relations orders
- Qualified medical child support orders
- Qualified and nonqualified deferred compensation programs
Our ERISA attorneys have considerable experience:
- Assisting clients in all aspects of establishing, operating, merging and terminating benefit plans and executive compensation arrangements
- Explaining the application of labor and securities laws and regulations to sponsors of employee benefit plans and executive compensation programs
- Developing transactional compliance systems to enable employers to comply with ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code
- Advising clients on the application of the fiduciary responsibility and prohibited transaction provisions of ERISA to various types of transactions and investments
The firm has developed a fiduciary audit practice under which we review the operation of clients’ benefit plans. Our ERISA attorneys also assist clients in locating, selecting and engaging investment advisers for their retirement plans.
- Representing clients in requests for individual and industry-wide (class) exemptions from the prohibited transaction provisions of ERISA.
We have successfully represented clients before the U.S. Department of Labor, the Internal Revenue Service and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation in audits, examinations and settlement negotiations.
For detailed information about particular areas of our ERISA, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation practice, please click on the area of interest, below: