Barry concentrates his practice on employee benefits law with particular emphasis on health and welfare plans. He is skilled in ERISA and employee benefit provisions of the Internal Revenue Code and other applicable state and federal laws.
His employee benefits practice is focused on employer-sponsored health and welfare plans, and all aspects of plan administration. This includes benefit plan configuration and documentation; ERISA reporting, disclosure and fiduciary standards; COBRA; HIPAA; 26 U.S. Code Section 125 Cafeteria plans; fringe benefit plans; retiree health benefit issues; Voluntary Employees Beneficiary Association Plans; mergers and acquisitions; benefit plan taxation; and nondiscrimination requirements.
Barry also has extensive experience negotiating and reviewing third-party vendor agreements, drafting ERISA and plan documents, and summary plan descriptions. Additionally, he monitors and advises clients regarding benefits-related legislative and regulatory developments that can have significant effects on employee benefits law.
He previously served as Vice President of Aon Consulting, where he provided information and advice to attorneys, actuaries, brokers, and consultants regarding employee benefit plan matters. In the process, he regularly consulted with clients on plan designs and issues. Additionally, he has worked at the Employee Benefits Security Section of the U.S. Department of Labor and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
Barry is a published author and editor of texts and articles on various aspects of employee benefit, personnel and tax law.
Publications & Media
- “Constitutional Challenges to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act,” (PDF), New York University Review of Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation, 2010
- Co-author, subject matter expert, and editor of several texts, including Quick Reference to ERISA Compliance, Aspen Publishers and The FMLA Guide and The COBRA Compliance Guide, originally published by Irwin Professional Publishing.
- Articles published in various trade publications including the International Foundation Employee Benefits Annual, Journal of Compensation and Benefits, Benefits Law Journal, Contingencies, Benefits Magazine.
Seminars and Webinar
- “Issues in Same Sex Marriage and Domestic Partners’ Health Care Coverage,” Barry Newman, Society for Human Resources Managements, 2012 Tri-State Conference, April 25, 2012 (Springfield, Massachusetts) -View Barry Newman’s PowerPoint Presentation here
- “Benefit Traps for the Unwary: Common Mistakes Made by Employers,” Barry Newman, Hirsch Roberts Weinstein LLP Roundtable, March 20, 2012 (Boston, Massachusetts) -View Barry Newman’s PowerPoint Presentation here
- “What You Need To Know About Health Care Compliance,” HighRoads, Inc., November 17, 2010 -View Barry Newman’s webinar here
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D - 1973
- Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts
- B.A - 1970
- Massachusetts, 1974
- Winner of the Aon Consulting's Technical Excellence Award
- Aon Consulting, Vice President, 1983 to 2006
- U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration, Employee Benefit Plan Analyst, 1978 to 1983
- Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, Division of Coverage and Classification, Pension Plan Analyst, 1975 to 1978
- U.S. General Accounting Office, Claims Adjudication Division, 1974 to 1975