Livia Quan Aber advises clients on a wide variety of issues in the areas of ERISA and financial services. She has broad experience with employee benefit issues, including qualified plans, benefits-related aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and ERISA fiduciary and prohibited transaction issues. She has experience drafting all types of plan documents, summary plan descriptions and employee communications as well as advising clients regarding establishing, changing and terminating benefit programs and entering into benefits service agreements. Livia also represents clients before the IRS, the DOL and the PBGC in connection with audits, qualified submissions, corrections, and other matters. She also counsels plan sponsors with respect to ERISA fiduciary compliance, including plan governance, plan expense issues, and the selection and monitoring of plan investment options.
Livia counsels financial service companies that provide investments and services to retirement plans and IRAs, particularly in relation to ERISA Title I issues, including fiduciary conduct and prohibited transactions. She assists various service providers with their service agreements and complying with disclosure requirements under ERISA and the Securities and Exchange Commission. Livia’s recent activity includes advising clients on compliance with the new fiduciary rule and subsequent developments.
Prior to joining The Wagner Law Group, Livia served as Counsel to a New England law firm and as an ERISA attorney at Mercer Consulting in Boston.
Seminars and Presentations
- Fiduciary Regulations: Year in Review - Stephen Wilkes and Livia Aber, FREE Wagner Law Group Webinar, November 28, 2018 - Recording available here and PowerPoint slides available here
- Best Practices Arising from the DOL Fiduciary Rule – Investment & Wealth Monitor, September/October 2017
- Review of SEC Risk Alert Concerning the Advertising Rule of the Advisers Act and Performance Reporting Issues – Stephen Wilkes and Livia Aber webinar, October 19, 2017
- Watch Steve & Livia's Presentation here
- View/Download Steve & Livia's PowerPoint presentation here
- DOL Virtual Roundtable - Stephen Wilkes and Livia Aber co-moderate a discussion on the implementation of the Department of Labor’s new fiduciary rule for NSCP (National Society of Compliance Professionals), June 14, 2017, at 1:00 PM (ET)
- DOL Virtual Roundtable - Steve Wilkes and Livia Aber co-moderate discussion on the implementation of the Department of Labor’s new fiduciary rule for NSCP (National Society of Compliance Professionals), January 18, 2017, February 8, 2017, March 1, 2017 and March 22, 2017, at 1:00 PM (ET)
- Advice on the Bice – Livia Q. Aber and Stephen P. Wilkes, Wolters Kluwer’s Practical Compliance & Risk Management for the Securities Industry, Vol. 10, No. 1, January-February 2017
- The Advisor’s Guide to the DOL Fiduciary Rule - The National Underwriter Company, a division of ALM Media, LLC, 2016
- Employee Benefits: Communications under ERISA, from Drafting Employment Documents in Massachusetts (3rd Edition 2015)
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts
- Suffolk University Law School, Juris Doctor, 1996
- University of Rochester, B.A. Religion and Classics, with distinction